Total Pageviews

Friday, June 26, 2015

Friday music poll: Coldplay vs. The Cure

An old roommate once dared to tell me that "Yellow" by Coldplay is a better love song than "Love Song" by The Cure. I was obviously shocked at my choice in roommates when I heard this. (To clarify, this is a joke. I don't base my decisions about friends based on whether or not they like Coldplay. If I did, I would have a lot less friends.) Anyway, the conversation went something like this:

Roommate: It's so much more emotional.
Me: But don't you feel the emotion from all the apathy in "Love Song?"
Roommate: That's stupid.
Me: The Cure is a national treasure. 
Roommate: That's kind of subjective.
Me: You stop right there.

Alternate title: You're Going to Cry a Lot
I was pretty ecstatic when her now-boyfriend agreed with me that "Love Song" is, in fact, a better love song than "Yellow." The proof is in the title itself. While "Yellow" reminds me of a young woman being called in to her boss' office unaware she will soon be sexually harassed and still leave with a smaller salary than her male counterparts, "Love Song" tells me immediately that it is a love song. I appreciate that about The Cure. Even at their most melodramatic, they let you know what they're about. 

Also, "Disintegration" is one of the best albums ever recorded. That has little to do with my point but you should know that so you can listen to it and thank me later when you're crying on the bathroom floor as "Disintegration" plays in the background. 

Anyway, the point of this post: What do you think is better? I Want to Be Depressing But Fuck It Here's a Song About Clocks Coldplay or The Cure?

No comments:

Post a Comment