Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Travel and stuff

Gideon and I have booked a hotel for our first weekend away as a couple. Of course, it's not our first time to travel together. 

We saw the Old 97's in Dallas two New Year's Eves ago, but that didn't happen on a weekend and we weren't officially dating so it definitely doesn't count. And last New Year's Eve, we were in Gulf Shores, Ala. with his family, but we weren't actively planning that trip so it doesn't count either. Anyway, we're going to Hot Springs.

I can't remember when I first started traveling to Hot Springs, though I must have been pretty young. My mother has always been fond of the town, so she took me there for mini-vacations quite often. We went there on my 21st birthday and ate at this amazing place called Fusion where I had a delicious steak and too much wine and spent the walk back to the hotel hoping I could hide my drunkenness from my mother until I passed out in bed. 

She totally knew, but it's the thought that counts. 

This trip would be special because it's the first time Gideon and I have traveled as a couple, but we scheduled it from April 24 to 26 to compound as much emotion as possible into two days. April 26, you see, is the day we met in 2010. It'll be our five-year friend-iversary, with us having dated roughly a year and a half of that time. I've convinced him that we have to go to Fusion, though I could not use the steak as means of coercion due to some disability he calls vegetarianism. 

Instead, I showed him photos of the baked brie appetizer. That seemed to do the trick. 

When we first started looking into local places to visit, I searched "fun things to do in Arkansas" on Google. And every single response was some attraction in Eureka Springs, where we live. One of the recommended accommodations was the Treehouse Resort, a group of treehouse suites literally two minutes down the road from our apartment.

I have always wanted to stay at that resort and, at exactly $0, the travel costs would be slightly lower than that of the trip we've planned. But I want to go on a mini-vacation and not a walk. And yes, I am aware of the irony of us escaping the tourist town we live in to feel like tourists somewhere else.

I'm going to end this post here. I've been trying to write it for far too long and maybe it's the snow we're supposed to get tonight and maybe it's the exhaustion from sharing half the bed with Gideon so the cat can have the other half, but I am not very good at writing today. 


No comments:

Post a Comment