Total Pageviews

Monday, March 2, 2015

Unimportant news that totally doesn't require a congratulations (she says sheepishly)

I received an email last week informing me that I have been given a local scholarship to a three-day writing workshop this coming weekend. The workshop will focus on memoirs and, hopefully, allow me to develop some of the ideas I have for the book I've been writing in my head for about 13 years.

I first conceived an idea for the book when I was 10. Deciding that my family is crazy enough to entertain the masses, I wanted to write lots of short essays about family dysfunction. I didn't really grasp the concept at the time and considered "dysfunction" to be a retelling of my mother's hair and how it has never truly left the 80's. (That's not to say that isn't a super fun story to tell.)

It was really more of a humorous book at the time. When my grandfather died when I was 12, I thought I'd throw in some serious content for good measure. If I could make readers laugh and cry, I reasoned, I'd pretty much win every Nobel Prize for the rest of time. I started to write a few essays but abandoned them as I am wont to do.

During high school, I thought I should write something more angsty to appease the same readers who enjoy TLC reality shows and trashy tabloids. Unfortunately, I was a late bloomer in every way and had little to no juicy experiences to write about until college.

I've discussed college before, but for the sake of further damaging my psyche, I'll rehash here. College was terrible. I spent three years with awful friends and an awful boyfriend, and I honestly thought I deserved every bit of it.

Fortunately, I'm at a great place in my life now. So great, in fact, that I can appreciate college for giving me material. At the writing workshop this weekend, I hope to hone in on my college experience. This, I think, will be really important for however this book turns out.

As it is now, I see the book being a collection of humorous essays. That doesn't mean I won't cover serious material, but I think I can elevate it even more by bringing a comedic touch to it. I don't want people to read my account of domestic abuse or suicide or body issues with a heavy heart. I want readers to finish the book feeling hopeful; I experienced some pretty bad shit, but I'm happy and healthy now.

Life gets better if you can wade through all its murkiness. That's what I want to write about, and that's what I hope this workshop will help me articulate better.

No comments:

Post a Comment