Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

My Lump, My Lump...You Know Where This Is Going


Sitting at my desk about ten minutes ago, I thought of how abnormally tired and headache-y I am. "Oh," my subconscious informed me, "it's probably because you had major surgery four days ago." So yes, I have returned to work merely one business day after having my neck cut open. How do I do it? I just remind myself of all the happy drugs I can take once I get off work at five. Don't tell me these drugs won't last forever. As far as I'm concerned, we have a love affair for the ages.

(My writing is really suffering in this post-surgery lag, so please forgive me for a lack of structure or witty jokes. I'm only human, after all.) 

I want to write a more comprehensive post about my surgery, but I can't do that right now for multiple reasons. First, I am at work and am using my 15 minute lunch break to write this blog post. More importantly, though, I am still moving past the haze of being medicated all weekend and I'm finding it difficult to combine letters into words and words into sentences and sentences into...well, you understand what I'm saying here. 

Here is a small excerpt I have written that I will include in my surgery recap. (I have to keep you guys reading this blog somehow, and since you know I'm alive, a Lost-esque cliffhanger won't cut it.) 

As I woke up from surgery, I heard voices all around me. I realized pretty quickly that the surgery was already over and, amazed at how numb my whole body was, I exclaimed, "Holy shit, I can't feel a damn thing." The doctor answered me in a low voice, asking that I refrain from cursing near the other patients. "Oh shit, I'm so sorry," I responded. 

Also, for reading this terrible mess of a post, I'm including two photos of myself post-surgery and post-hydrocodone.


No comments:

Post a Comment