Total Pageviews

Monday, April 20, 2015

The kids aren't all right

I have very little time to write - it is Monday, after all - but I discovered something at a work meeting this morning I felt I should address. Apparently, teenagers are experimenting with a thing called powdered alcohol. According to this USA Today article, powdered alcohol is similar to Kool Aid except it makes you trip a lot harder.

The founder of the stuff said he wanted to create an alcohol that was "lightweight and easy to carry on-the-go." I get it. I often find myself at work thinking, "You know what would make this bottled water even better? ALCOHOL." Unfortunately, it would be unseemly for me to traipse into work with a liter of vodka peeking out of my bag.

Perhaps it's because I'm the child of an alcoholic, but I will never understand why a person would want to drink alcohol excessively and consistently, and I will especially never understand why the regular old bottled stuff is too outdated or bulky for today's burgeoning alcoholics. (Side note: Nearly 70 percent of the teenagers in the county I live in have had alcohol in the past 30 days. That makes me inconsolably sad.)

Oh, there's also a thing called alcopops, which is a combination of an energy drink and an alcoholic drink. As a person who hates the taste of energy drinks and likes liquor only when it's drowned in fruit cocktail, that sounds like a nightmare to me.

I asked a woman in the meeting why anyone would ingest these drinks, and she asked me why anyone would create them in the first place.

To create something lightweight and easy to carry on-the-go, I think, is a really terrible answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment